How are you?
I get asked this question many, many, many times a day. Often times I want to ask the recipient if they want the polite answer (fine, thank you) or the honest answer (HORRIBLE!!!).
How are you? Well, I am…
- sad – I don’t have a mom any more
- tired – I wake up often due to being pregnant and needing to pee all the time, and struggle with falling back asleep
- jealous – of those who still have moms (especially those who may not like their moms); that Mom knows my baby’s name (I have no idea)
- happy – to meet my new baby boy
- excited – to be meet my baby and be done with the pregnancy
- angry – at God for taking Mom, at Mom for dying
- irritated – that I can’t be available for my Dad and sister on a daily basis
- good – I made it ________ minutes/hours without thinking about her
- stressed – about not having much time to take off with my new baby
- overwhelmed – at the thought of needing/wanting to fill Mom’s shoes, being supportive/helpful/useful/not annoying/etc. from a distance
- thankful – that I still have my Dad, sister, husband, kids and lots of family and friends
That’s how I’m doing.